Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Sculpture trail: accessible art?






Yesterday was our first opportunity to go to the sculpture trail at Hardcastle Craggs, Hebden Bridge, as we were busy all weekend and spent all day Monday recovering. We were up quite early, so I thought it wouldn't be too hot. I threw a picnic together and bundled everyone into the car, along with a towel and swimming gear. I did phone up to see how much of the trail we could get round with a pushchair as itis a while since I've been to the Craggs. I was assured that I could do the whole route, even though I was alone with three children, and no, I wouldn't get three quarters of the way round and have to turn back... after all, the place would be heaving with helpful dogwalkers and anyway there were plenty of paths leading back up to the main track. So...yes I did get stuck three quarters of the way round and, yes there were quite a few dog-walkers, one of whom did help me on a particularly steppy steep bit. Everyone else just looked at me with some sort of expression which could have meant any number of things, such as: "you won't get far with that buggy, ha ha", "what does that stupid woman thing she is doing in dog walking territory?", or "Why aren't those children at school, anyway?". So I did find I path that led back up to the main track, "up" being the operative word here: it was more a series of shallow steps, interspersed with steeper steps. Still, I managed: I carried Allie up to the top and went back for the buggy.
I don't think I could have managed the first part without the buggy, as it was over a mile and he fell asleep, and the children were stopping all the time, looking at sculptures, so it took over an hour. We were adopted by an old man from near Skipton, who obviously needed someone to share the expreience with, but that was OK as he managed to blag a map off some returning walkers and gave it to me when we went our seperate ways at the mill. I decided not to go beyond Gibson mill, although there were more sculptures there, as they were beginning to get hungry and we needed to press on to the picnic place, where we could eat, rest and paddle in the water and cool off. They enjoyed this, but also really enjoyed the sclptures, which I though were particularly good this year. Some of my favouites were: "No Parking", double yellow lines painted onto grassy wheel hubs; "Return of the Earth Mummy", a giant recycled plastic goddess;"Morph", a web; "The cycle of life" an installation including bicycle wheels woven with plastic; and "Gyre (rise and fall)", a plywood spiral, which Jem said reminded her of an Escher, as you could walk up and up without going up.
The trail is on for another 3 weeks and I thouroughly recommend it to anyone near enough to go. The art is accessible, in the sense that it is not too difficult to understand, if not accessible with a buggy, except the first half, which is on the main, metalled track. I was quite inspired, but then I always like to see art in a wonderful setting, and it doesn't get much more wonderful than Hardcastle Craggs.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Does look brilliant. Shame we're a bit too far away to visit!

4:45 pm  
Blogger Classroomfree said...

Wow! Looks great :-)

6:17 pm  
Blogger dottyspots said...

Looks great - really must try to get up your way at some point, there seems to be quite a lot to do.

9:56 pm  
Blogger Rosie said...

More info available here: http://www.sculpturetrail.org/
-tells you where it is, etc and has printable map of trail, which would be a good idea to take as they cost £1 and they had none when we went. It is in Hebden Bridge, signposted left off the Keighley road (HX7 7AA)
let us know when youre coming, you could call in!

11:41 pm  
Blogger Rosie said...

We're not doing anything on Tuesday- if you leave your email I can send you directions if you want to call in. Otherwise we could meet you there(?) if we dont get over at the weekend to see the rest.

12:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home