Tuesday, June 28, 2005

the usual chaos




A pretty full-on day. We had to be at Oxenhope station for 10 o'clock for our trip down memory lane to the era of steam. It was already hot, and the train had been overbooked so we couldn't find anywhere to sit together, so I had wriggly baby on lap, trying to get to the others and stop him from kicking too many elderly fellow passengers. But they did enjoy it. We got off at Oakworth, where The (origainal) Railway Children was filmed. The highlight was the demonstration of the turntable, where these 2 old guys actually pushed a steam locomotive around in a circle. I'm not sure how many noticed but the train actually went through 360 degrees, so not much point for all that effort, it would seem. But someone pointed out that the younger children may not have remembered which way it was facing to start off with.
We had to get back home by 12.30 as I was looking after someone's 2 children. I also invited some other friends round that were on the train as it was a lot nearer for them than travelling from home. So we had a house full, well, garden full, actually. Most of them managed to get all of their clothes soaking wet in the paddling pool/water shute. We had another poo incident in the garden, which is begining to get a bit wearing. Well, it would have been alright, except Allie's suit was wet and even though I hoiked him into the bathroom straight away, well, let's just say we both ended up having to have a bath.

What's that noise? rain? what's that? O, yes, that thing that suddenly falls from the sky. I've left loads of picnic blankets out, and my sunhat is hanging on the bird table.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma at now. Jem has now decided she wants to be home educated. That means leaving the Montessori School. Now, Fugs is leaving the same school, but I did not have to give any notice for that, in fact I would have needed to put his name down for a place. So I let him take his time to be sure what he wanted to do. Now he is definately going to be home educated, and Jem has realised she wants to do that too. The only problem is that I think I am supposed to give a term's notice if she leaves. This seems a long time ahead to know what you want to do, and I do like to be sure before telling people of my intentions. I have mixed feelings about her leaving, as on bad weeks I really enjoy the peace when they are not around for a couple of days. But I really struggle to fit in with the hours and I'm sure would find it very difficult with one at home and one at school. We already have a conflict on Fridays between Jem going to school and me trying to go to home ed meetings with the boys.
I was on the phone earlier to someone else from the school and happened to mention this and it was not met with much support. In fact it was quite a frosty reaction, which left me a bit cold. I am going to have to face the music tomorrow and talk to the person who runs the school, who is not the easiest person to speak to. In fact all my dealings with the school as far as places have been concerned have been quite difficult. I don't want Jem to leave on bad terms, as has already happened, twice, once with the Steiner kindergarten, and when I took her out of the local school, which wasn't that bad, just a bit wierd, as they obviously did not know what to say. I'm so dreading it now. One of the other girls at the school has been trying to persuade her to stay there, and that must make it quite difficult. But now she has more friends who are HE, and has really been enjoying her time not at school. Also her favouritre teacher is leaving, and she doesnt like one of the others. Basically, I still think it's good, and much better than state school, but that HE is better. And she seems to have come to the same conclusion. If only I had started to HE when I originally intended, when she was 5. I feel really bad to have chopped and changed her around so much. I think partly she wants to be HE because its more straightforward than being part time at school, as that can pull you in 2 directions, iyswim. It's hard enough trying to explain to people that you don't go to state school, but to explain a flexiscooling arrangement, it sort of alienates you from both camps in a way.
Anyway, I've got to go on a school trip with Fugs tomorrow, which I could have really done without, and the said person above is going, without offering to take him or offering me a lift in her people carrier.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

oh, hugs for the schooly decision making process, it is so hard, isn't it?

Hope you find a way through that suits everyone.

10:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home