Sunday, April 17, 2005

Guitar lessons

We seem to have been listening to Strange Folk lately. I'm not sure what I make of it now (or even what it is exactly; one of Brendan's X-collegues came round and told me in all seriousness that 'acid folk' was 'where he is at' the other day) but I did get my guitar out, which has migrated downstairs in the last week. Not to play any strange folk, you understand, but it must have got me going on some level. So I had hardly started when I had two would-be bad members strumming away and asking for a guitar lessons. It's a good job I have two other, smaller guitars. I managed to get Fugs' one strung up properly and Jem actually learned a chord-she was quite keen to learn something tangeable like that, although it is quite difficult to get a nice sound out of it at first like that. I'm tempted to tune them into a chord and let them strum away, Joni Mitchell stylie- its more fun. The best bit was probably when I was just playing a made-up chord sequence and humming along to myself and Fugs joined in (without his guitar) and started making up a little song to the music. I'm sure this is just as important or more important than any learned technique or tune, in fact it has to come first, IMO, but small children do his naturally anyway, making up their own music.
I just had to make a note of this as sometimes I think we haven't 'done' anything, and I read other people's home ed blogs and weep (not literally) and feel a bit inadequate. But I am gaining more confidence all the time in children's natural ability and motivation to learn, both by reading about it and seeing it in practice. I have just finished How Children Learn, by John Holt and was quite moved by it. So it's back to the library for me tomorrow, I think. Now what shall I read next?

4 Comments:

Blogger Jax Blunt said...

I love John Holt books. So encouraging.

We don't *do* an awful lot here. Often feel intimidated by your arts and crafts actually, does that make you feel better? ;)

12:04 am  
Blogger Rosie said...

Lol- thought someone might think that,in retrospect, after reading other people's wonderful things, it must sound all quite wonderful and creative here! well, it's funny how good it sounds when you can miss out the not-so-good bits. And it sounds like you do an awful lot to me,Jax!
I think we all have our own strengths and interests, as parents/educators. I have to try to remember not to overdo it with the arty stuff, as it might not be what they are into, I just enjoy it myself, (being really a frustrated designer/maker).

12:20 am  
Blogger Gill said...

My lot are so contrary, they usually want to do the opposite of that I'm into - well, not do it, basically. Maybe that's the effect of school, or just being my kids!
The music session sounded lovely
:)

7:08 am  
Blogger Gill said...

Nice new pic Rosie. See I knew you'd flesh out when you finally put those needles down!

7:12 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home