Sunday, February 20, 2005

decorating

Yay! I've been decorating. Since I was pregnant, 18 months ago, the front hall and stairs have been getting on my nerves. Ever since Unlucky Bob the builder and his disfunctional crew decided to take out the entire front door frame in order to sort out a little bit of rotten threshhold, in attempt toe distract themselves, or me, from the job in hand, which was sorting out the kitchen, it has been in a state of unfinishedness. I did get someone to come and decorate, who first put it off, as he couldn't be certain of finishing before I had the baby, not that that bothered me, I think he must have been a bit jumpy about me suddenly going into labour while he was there in the house and having to deliver the baby himself. When he finally came round, he decided that he couldn't possibly do it as he didn't have any ladders big enough, and was obviously daunted by the surface area concerned, which, actually, turns out to be deceptively not that much. O well, if you want a job doing... So, now the baby's bigger and I have a bit of energy for such things, I thought, why not, and while I was at it I decided to paint the door, which had made the hall look so much brighter. Not sure about the colours, but it was what I had already bought, and I'm sure it will be a great improvement.
I had to let Fugs have a go at painting, and he quite enjoyed it, although I found it very difficult not to get impatient and paint straight over it. I hadn't really thought this through, i mean, to let a 4 year old get involved would take some organising, like some extra tools and an extra day to do it in, as it was taking about 25 times as long to do it with him involved, and I wanted to get it over with as quickly as poassible, having a crawly baby around maked these things a bit tricky. Also, I wanted it to look nice. I have spent 18 months looking at undecorated walls an another 2 years before that looking at bloody awful floral vinyl walpaper, so I didn't want some 4 year old's paint effects, thankyou. I'm just letting off steam now, because I just let him merrily paint away, as he was having such a good time. I can always give it another coat.
I suppose all this was started off by Maeve and her dad's flat, which she has finished decorating. His dad has died now, so he'll be coming back from Ireland, no doubt. So that grandfather never accepted her as his own; when they moved back to Ireland they just pretended she didn't exist. Shame, especially when its your only grandchild. I think she's ok.
Went to see Lemony Snicket film yesterday, after ballet. Fugs had to come to have his hot chocolate during ballet, as he wanted to be with me (not daddy). We enjoyed the film and they spent quite a bit of time looking at the website afterwards, which is quite good.
Jem is reading Mister Skip at the moment, which I quite like.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

In case you're interested, there is a nice resource pack to do with the Unfortunate Events film, on the film education website, with about 8 pdf pages of activities - Anna really enjoyed doing them and putting them together as a mini-project-thing.

http://www.filmeducation.org/primary/Lemony/LemonySnicket.pdf

Did you find all the eyes on the movie website? I (very sadly) spent an entire day hunting for them a couple of months back ...

8:34 am  
Blogger Gill said...

Hope it goes well :o)

10:48 am  
Blogger Rosie said...

Thanks for that, Sarah.
Um... Jem found 3 eyes yesterday!

12:27 pm  
Blogger Rosie said...

O yes, we have one of those- I thought it would be ideal, but he went off it and prefferred the brush- maybe I should have tried to get him to use it, but I was finding it quite useful myself!

10:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home