Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Art 'n' stuff

Well this morning seems a long time ago now, but a friend of Fugs came round to play- his mum just dropped him off and they played! This is a first for him. I gave up on him having friends round as it always seemed to end in some little boy trashing the house and not interested in playing with Fugs at all. But this is the first time he's had a friend independantly of me, met through the Montessori nursery. And they get on really well. Shame he's going to school in September, o well.
So then we went to Bradford to the home-learner's art workshop, which I was a bit disappoined with, really. I mean the woman who does them is a bit annoying and spends far too much time talking about why it's important to not touch the exhibits (even though they are all in glass cases) and there's not enough time to actually do any art. I can see the logic of trying to engage them in the exhibition and gain inspiration from it. But this bit was, quite frankly, boring to me, let alone them. By the time we got in the workshop room Fugs had had enough and was itching to go to the park. But we managed to do some decorated Buddha's footprints, which was no more interesting for having spent an hour learning about Buddha. In fact I am convinced that this actually took away from the experience. It is a bit too much like 'school learning' for my liking and I may knock this one on the head, although it was loveley to see Isabelle, who organised it, again and her boys, and to meet Tech and her gang. I think I go more to meet people and to go to see an exhibition, and not so much for the workshop, although the last one was much more hands on, and although it was quite stressful for me, it was very interesting doing stuff we hadn't done at home.
I think I have a different approach to doing art and creative stuff with the children. We do quite a lot of it and although it is quite often linked to a theme, or seasonal event, I try not to harp on about it too much in intellectual terms. After all, art is not really an intellectual activity, I think. Well I don't think it should be, anyway I can't stand conceptual art or anything that is trying to be clever and you have to think about too much. Instead I try to allow them to understand what it is about by getting a feel for it through the colours an forms etc. Of course I also try to facilitate creative expression through drawing and painting, too, without a given theme or subject. I don't require representational drawings, or, i fact any sort of finished result, as this is not the point of it; its the process. I try not to do stuff for the sake of having 'something to show for it', although, if we do have something to put up that is nice, but I'm quite happy to make stuff myself if I require a certain decoration for a particular event, so they are not under pressure to perform. The EEC inspector could not seem to be able to fathom why on earth I had stuck things into my scrapbook that I had done myself; I was simply recording 'we did this... leaf printing, whatever, ate pumpkin soup- no, I didn't make her write out the recipe'- that's not the point- the point is we made it and ate it and it was a celebration and sometimes you can't document these things. ...
"And where were the results of this scientic experiment recorded (a kindergarten teacher was once asked by an inspector, on watching frosty leaves melting). The only possible reply was given: "in their souls".

4 Comments:

Blogger Gill said...

ROFL.. I'll remember that one for Mrs D..
I think if we have another visit, we might go for the 'no work', 'no report', 'no conversation', 'just grunting' approach.
Whaddya think? ;o)
I'd make her a coffee though, of course.

8:28 am  
Blogger Rosie said...

O, yuck, I didnt even hear that bit about give yourselves a clap, but then this 40 yo with an attention span several times longer than that of most children had stopped listening by then. I couldn't believe how attentive the children were, actually. I talked to a friend today, who is an ex-teacher, and also has done creative workshops, and she told me that according to basic teaching guidelines it is not recommended to just talk for more than 10 minutes, as people can't take in any more info than that. I don't think the woman can be a qualified teacher as you would think she would know this. She was really talking down to the children and I don't think you missed anything much. I go to these things as you never know what theyre going to be like, but they are always a bit disappointing when its something you could have done at home. Actually I was a bit pissed off that on the leaflet it said there were free children's workshops on at the weekend by someone Indian-sounding, and are probably better. It got me thinking about trying to set up some art workshops locally, although there are the halifax ones- I'll have to go to those to find out what they're like :-/
Having said all that, it was quite a good day all in all, nice meeting peolple, etc. Shame it was so damn cold- It froze my brain without a hat on :o{

10:12 pm  
Blogger Rosie said...

Yes, Gill-, on mrs.d: could she just come, look and bugger off ;o) I don't think its at all apropriate to sit there ticking boxes when someone has suggested they are moving towards the autonomous- I dont think she gets it at all. Next time i do the reporrt, yes? Who Do you think has defined her tick-boxes? Is it in that document?

10:22 pm  
Blogger Gill said...

I dunno - have pretty much decided to use our next visit to try & sort all that kind of stuff out with her.
I'm going to have a chat with her about how we think she could best conduct them (if at all), so have a think & let me know between now & April?

12:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home