Thursday, November 18, 2004

Gingerbread house

We were so excited about the snow that we decided to make a gingerbread house to celebrate. It is from the story of Mother Holle, who shakes her feather bed and makes it snow. I think this may have been a bit over-optimistic, as we had to make it from scratch and gingerbread always seems to take ages, and then you have to put it together...I ended up running out of patience with it and so did the children as we never got to the bit where you stick the sweeties on (probably a good job, as I dont think we've got any) as it kept collapsing. The IKEA kits are sooo much easier. Afterwards I found some instructions in "Festivals Together" which are much better. grrrrr. It is just made of 2 triangle sides and 2 sloping roof bits, which are decorated first, and stuck together with some wonderful sounding coconut and honey snow. I'll have to try this next time. We are planning to take it to the Lantern Festival tomorrow. I think we'll have to do some more work on it... it looked like this before they went to bed, but after I came downstairs it had collapsed again!

2 Comments:

Blogger dottyspots said...

Looks good to me! Jealous of the decent snow too!

4:03 pm  
Blogger Rossi said...

Looks great! I love doing impromptu things like that- need to do them more thugh which kinda feels like a contradiction :-).

Even more jealous of daytime snow!

7:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home