Tuesday, June 14, 2005

while I was still in my pyjamas...

I heard the recycling men come and realised there was still some stuff I hadn't put out, so I rushed out with it, explaining that it wasn't sorted as I didn't want to get any more beer on my pyjamas. I just got I rye smile from the man, who is disturbingly familiar, and knows me by name, although I can't remember who he is. Maybe its the uniform that's throwing me. I wouldn't even think of going out and chatting with the randy postman, who seems to have replaced the old, over friendly postman, but, then there is never the need, except when he bolts up the road with my paper, or having left the neighbour's paper. But he is always much later than that, anyway.
While I was engrossed in blog reading, Allie manged to take all his clothes and nappy off and poo on the carpet, duvet, duvet cover, and several cushions, which are now in the wash. I was informed straght away, so it wasnt too diasterous, in fact the others had been getting him to sit on the potty moments earlier.
After all that was sorted out, baths, etc, and everyone was dressed, they had a game of musical cushions, followed by yar-yar and spelt biscuits.
Actually, I had to come downstairs in my pj's because Allie was so starving and demading "more beed", which means feed. he is getting more demanding in terms of feeding, shoving his hands down my shirt, saying "my, my beed" but my solution is to try and offer him food and drinks instead when I dont want to feed him, which usually works. Once I said to him "where's your hand?" and he took it out, pointed to it with the other hand and said "there", thinking that was really funny. I think "beed" is cross between feed and boob, as it means both things, and is his own special word, which they all seem to have had (noo-noo, num-num, etc). I'm so used to it I have caught myself calling them "my beeds".
His speech is coming on really well, now, having seemed to have grasped the idea of what talking is for before really developing a vocabulary (as John Holt describes in How children learn). As a result of reading this I have become more careful not to correct children's errors in speech, and to let them do it themselves, in their own time. This also applies to the older children. Allie has built up quite a vocabulary now, including "marmite", "juice", meaning any drink, almost indistinguishable from "shoes", which refers to any footwear; "mummy", "daddy": these are sometimes interchangable and sometimes I am called "mummydaddy", or "amummyadaddy", water is "wawer", cake is "nake", "duck" is now pronounced properly, no longer "dut". There are also sentences, like "that's mummy's book". "Don't do that" is copied as "doodat!" and means something else, like "its so funny when you get annoyed". There are also one-off attemps at longer words and phrases, like today's very clear "margarine" , and "somebody's drawn on that"!! (I wonder why he's learned that ;)). Also "my" and "mine" are becoming major words. It's interesting how they learn the words they really need to know. Fug's first word was "cheese" as he deperately wanted some after I had put him on a dairy-free diet. Cruel mummy. It cleared up his excema, though, and Allie's. I try not to "teach" them to talk, as I believe it can only produce unsatisfactory results. I really don't want to go to any more of those health-visitor checks, in case there are any boxes unchecked, as I think it's mostly rubbish. I remember speech therapists being mentioned when Jem was 3, although there were just a few pronunciation inaccuracies, which just wouldnt have showed up in a less vocal child. I wonder if they are compulsary.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jax Blunt said...

On the flip side, having an offspring who doesn't appear to be making any attempt at speech, is making me a little worried that I could be failing to do something he needs (do I not talk motherese enough, babble, insufficient banal nursery rhymes?) so I am reluctantly going to go to the 2 year check with Small and see what they've got to say.

I guess my real fear is that he may have some element of my hearing loss, despite passing all the distraction tests (but then again, so did I) and to access detailed hearing checks I suspect I need to jump through the hoops. We could easily end up with a two year old referred to a speech therapist though, and if that's what it takes to get it all checked out thoroughly, then that's what I'll do.

Not being aggressive here, just pointing out that it need not necessarily be madness :)

2:12 pm  
Blogger Rosie said...

Lol. I have been doing a lot of that hiding. There is another poo...
Friday..has not been sorted out yet- another job I am hiding from. J wants to go to Magna, but doesnt want me (=the boys)to come, so if I can pull this off, we could come to Skipton without her. Is there anything in particular planned for it? Otherwise, Magna, watch out, here we come...
BTW she 'likes' your girls- I think she was a bit shy before. I'll have to try and bring her next week.

2:12 pm  
Blogger Rosie said...

Jax- sorry,I missed your comment before as I think we were writing at the same time.
I can understand your concerns- I was going to add that it was usesful to me when M's eyesight problem was detected by one of those checks, and she was subsequently refered to the eye clinic. I did choose not to go down the operation route, opting to wait till she was old enough to make that decision. she is now nearly 18 and her 'lazy eye' is barely noticable, although I was told it would not get better without an operation.
Having said that, I have known several children who have not talked at 2, and I would not say it was a cause for concern in itself. J did not talk much at that age (but she is making up for it now ;) Both the boys have surprised me how much earlier they have talked than her. But they both walked much later, too, after 18 months. A still waddles wildly at 20 months.
I remember a friend's boy, who I'm sure I never heard say a single word till he was about 3 1/2, and then just started talking.
I remember really worrying thay J might have a hearing problem, but I think this was only after she had had her 3 year check, and her speech wasn't, well, she didnt pass the test with flying colours.(and it was suggested by th HV). She had had a lot of ear infections and a burst ear drum, which fed my anxiety, which all turned out to be unfounded. (No, I didnt go to the speech therapist as I decided that her speech was not much different to mine at that age: no double consonants, c, g or r)
So I know its difficult not to worry. As for you not meeting his needs... ahem, you are not separating him from his older sister for 5 days a week, (like most kids)... dont even go there.

12:26 am  
Blogger Rosie said...

Tech- thanks for invitation, although it seems a long way, that's whey we didnt come on Friday. But there is a long summer ahead...and it looks like a lovely place. and ditto to that.

12:31 am  
Blogger Jax Blunt said...

Coming back to say thanks for coming back to me - I just really wanted to say that there are two signs to the coin, and while I appreciate that in many cases health visitors are way too by the (red) book ;) there could be times that we would want to make use of the services as well :)

No offence taken, no offence meant!

2:01 pm  
Blogger Jax Blunt said...

sides.

There are two sides.

Is our focus on BSL showing do you think?

2:47 pm  
Blogger Rosie said...

I didnt know you did BSL, I thought you were talking about baby signing, which I thought was different, but I don't know about that, just heard of. Do you sign, too then?
But I'm not sure if I really understand your question?

10:13 pm  
Blogger Jax Blunt said...

Question was a joke related to my typo ;)

Yes, I do BSL - I passed stage 1 and failed stage 2 back in an alternate reality as a residential social worker many years ago.

I got the book on baby signing and tried it, but it's mainly based on ASL so I adapted it. Small wasn't interested at that point, but he's showing quite a bit more interest now.

2:05 pm  
Blogger Rosie said...

I didn't notice the typo ;) - I was obviously staring at the screen too long. (and have a lot of trouble concentrating- there are now 3 adults talking and the TV in the next room will I ever get any peace?).
I did level 1 BSL, too, but don't get any practice these days, so don't know how much I remember. I have a friend who I now chat to on MSN, whose first language is BSL, and her written English is, well, we have quite a laugh trying to understand each other sometimes(especially with all the netspeak/texting language that I'm not that good at). I think it was easier IRL, even with my dodgy signing.
I asked someone today about baby signing as they happened to mention they had done a (CM) training session in it. I got more info than I actually needed (!)and I got the impression it is quite flexible and can be worked out between the child and parent what signs are. My sister, also a CM, used/uses? it whith her 3 yo, who has really only just started talking.

11:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home