Friday, January 28, 2005

leedl needl; raised beds

I heard today that my dad's op went ok and he was up and about today. Thankyou to everyone for your kind words of support.
Today went a lot better. I had quite a quiet, lazy morning, followed by a trip to LIDL. Aparently it's pronounced leedl in Germany, mm, sounds more like a proper word, but hot sure if we can get used to it. Or is that how most people say it? I dont know, I rarely talk about going to lidl, or leedl, in fact I dont talk to other adults hat much! o, how sad! Anyway, do the checkout staff have to be quite so rude in lidl? I dont know if it is like this in other lidls. Honestly, I dont dawdle, I am usually in a hurry, myself, and quite experienced at shopping, but they always hassle me to hurry up with my packing, as if shopping for a largish family is not really allowed. They don't help at all. There is enough room at the end of the checkout for a maximum of 2 carrier bags worth. (Don't start me on the carrier bags- they cannot be reused more than once or twice without splitting- that's the more expensive ones). There is an inadequate shelf a short distance away for packing, less than a foot deep. They are only happy if you chuck everything back into the trolley and pack it elsewhere... where? at home? Today I had an unexplainably buggy escaping baby, potatoes dropping right through lidle carrier bags and nowhere to put my crate of beer, being wider than the shelf. I was, as usual finding it quite physically demanding performing this complicated checkout proceedure, when I was told I was in the way of the next customer, who I had tried very hard to not be in the way of...."I am moving it", "well you weren't until I asked", "Of course I was, what did you think I was doing, twiddling my thumbs?" At times like this I am tempted to stand there and be as annoying as possible, but that wouldn't have been fair on the customers, who weren't complaining. Actually, I'm probably quite scary with my new haircut!
I dont mean to moan, honest! I seem to have been doing nothing but for the last few days. O well, better out than in, I always say, get it off your chest!
O my god, I'm still thirty-something...just!
Saw the Sandwich board man today- the message started "O ye Hippocrites..." so I didnt stop to read the rest, I'm not used to being adressed like that.
I Almost forgot- Gardening- I almost got some railway sleepers for the garden today, and felt slightly uneasy about it somehow. I inadvertantly found out (from HDRA) that they are a really bad ideas as the creosote in them can leach out into the soil and is banned in gardens now, as it is harmful. The company selling them (a soil merchant!) denied that they were banned, when I asked them, but, anyway, I had a lucky escape. So, my spontaneous raised bed has now become something that I will have to think about - grrr. I have a low wall which devides the lawn, slightly higher than the top of the wall, and the path 2' below. There is a bed there, but the soil only goes down about 6". We would like to grow some veggies, so I imagined building up the wall with something and filling this bed with the barrowloads of lovely soil that the moles are kindly leaving in mounds all over the lawn. There isnt any stone left and anyway, I dont think my back is up to building up a stone wall. Maybe just wood like some scaffoding planks, stood on edge would be the best idea. I could wedge them, behind the wall and ad a few stones, maybe. I'm not very good at visuallising these things. Maybe I'd be better of with tractor tyres?

2 Comments:

Blogger Gill said...

I've built a few dry stone walls for raised beds & absolutely loved doing it. It's very satisfyingly creative in a contemplative sort of way and not to hard on the back if you use smallish stones. Would hate to build a brick one though, because that would have to be perfectly straight & not fun at all.
Does rubber leech anything then? I've also got one edged with 'turf bricks', but this collapsed when the cows from the next field escaped and trampled on them. If you have turf that needs cutting and no nearby cows likely to escape, it might be a good method?

12:36 am  
Blogger Rosie said...

Cheers for advice - just need to scavange some materials now. Whatever I can get hold of it. Actually, I think there's some planks in the garage, but it maybe only floorboard width. scaffold planks must be cheap if you know where to get them.
All my info on chemicals in gardens came from HDRA website- they have a factsheet on this.
The bed is currently about 2' high, with a soil depth of 6". The lawn is on the other side, iyswim

11:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home