Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Who needs prozac when you've got ABBA?

Hello, happy people! Well, they didn't go to school because they wanted to play in the snow. I was very happy about that. After having them at home for two weeks (half term) I was just so sad at the thought of them going off somewhere all day, (even if it is a lovely little Montessori school with a maximum class size of 8, where they refuse to have computers in the under 6 class, no matter what OFSTED says, as long as this is what the parents want, which it is.) Anyway, For some reason I didn't end up going sledging with them; I had two teenagers willing to do that for me, and I know it's not so much fun for Allie, and we couldn't quite get it together to be ready at the same time as everyone else. So, I did the next best thing and put on ABBA Gold (he likes that) and swanned around the house smiling like Sheila from Shameless, receiving a mixed response from the growing numbers of teenagers, who had borrowed a red and white striped temporary barrier from the road to use as a snowboard. They only came in for lunch (by this time we were just about ready) and went back out to find a bigger slope (which I didn't want to take Allie to). (Blogger people: Is it worse than saying "and then we had lunch" to highlight the word "lunch" and link it to what you had for lunch?")
Well, I'm quite happy for them to go tomorrow to Montessori: I think I may have solved the problem: Fugs only goes one day, and Jem goes two. It might just work. I accidentally phoned the woman who runs the Steiner playgroup and then reallised my new plans may make it impossible to go to it. Well, there were enough toddlers Allie's age at the art and craft workshop yesterday, and I could take some more toys...
Allie's obsession with marbles has gone a step further: he had some in the bath last night (don't ask me why) and this morning he rescued them in a clear plastic bottle, which he managed to take with him nearly all day. He crammed a piece of apple into the bottle at lunchtime and several pieces of carrot in at teatime, which I just had to clean out as it was covered in lentil soup. I wasn't sure quite how far to let this carry on but he never tried to eat or 'drink' the marbles out of the bottle, and finally took it upstairs, with the lid on. I am sure this is all a really valuable learning experience, which I cannot begin to understand, but it is fun and interesting to watch. I've started to give him 'real' bowls and plates, even though they are at a shattering distance from the stone floor, because the surface of some of the melamine ones have started to disintegrate (yuck). So far there have been no breakages, although something would normally end up on the floor. But I am quite prepared for this happening and only give him ones that I don't mind about. He did about five steps today! 2 slow, and the rest really fast (to me).
Brendan is having serious second thoughts about having taken on a permanent role at HBOS, and a massive reduction in pay, for the sake of less travelling and greater stability. Hopefully he will find a suitable solution.

they've been in the snow- wellies nice and clean, now! they were very muddy before.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rosie said...

Which ones? The stripy ones are from Millets. Actually, they were all from Santa, But J saw some like her's (spotty) in Halifax! Mine are boring and plain- why did Santa forget me? was he waiting for the sales?

11:29 pm  
Blogger Gill said...

I was just thinking that. Lovely wellies!

8:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home