Wednesday, February 23, 2005

PS- joined-up writing

I just remembered something else we were doing just before bed. Jem wanted to practice doing joined-up writing, which she has started to learn to do- she can do her name pretty well. I started to get her to do sentences, so i could see what needed work on, and then I broke it down to individual letters and groups of letters, like i,u, n,m, w, etc. (She was asking me to tell her what to write, so I figured she wanted some sort of exercise like this). It seemed to be confusing her a little trying to join up the letters, as she started going clockwise round the letters instead of anticlockwise, but she seemed to pick it up without getting frusrated. It made me realise how much I wasnt sure about how letters are supposed to be, as my writing isn't very joined-up really. I thought I should get some of that paper with lines on to show you where to draw the letters to, or even some worksheets? I mean, I don't want her to think she's doing it wrong, but I think she really does want to improve. And also I think it's probably a good time to make sure she doesn't get into bad habits, without being overly critical, of course.
God, this HE is brain-taxing, sometimes ;-)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if it helps but DS1 is being taught joined up writing by "start every letter on the line". This forces you to form each letter in a certain way and although it drives me mad as I can't read his writing at all now it does seem a sensible way to start. HTH!

6:36 pm  
Blogger Rosie said...

hmm... cheers for the tips; this will come in handy.

9:52 pm  
Blogger Rosie said...

hmm... cheers for the tips; this will come in handy.

9:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home