Friday, February 25, 2005

Brain Development!

Well, if i wasnt so busy writing lengthy comments here and here, maybe I would get round to blogging. (I do enjoy it, though). But maybe not much to report today? Allie is just learning so much every day. It's the walking/talking thing- its such a massive developmental step to take, being upright. He's recently been a bit obsessed with little standing figures, like the playmobil pirates and Duplo pixies. I did get out some animals when I noticed he was trying to stand things up, but he seems more interested in 2 legged standing. I'm sure it's all part of learning to walk; it can't be just a matter of coordinating your limbs, it must be something to do with brain development, too ( O Gill, you must have got me thinking again...). Well, it was only September when Jem learned to ride her bike, and I learned that in order to ride a bike a part of your brain has to develop, and this Gross Motor Development helps with other mental skills, like reading and writing (if you want to know the source of this piece of info, it's from my mum, so probably Piaget), hence, once you know how to ride a bike, you always know. Well, you don't forget how to walk, either, do you? So I guess to 'cogwheels' must be turning away at the moment. Also, crawling is supposed to be good at ballancing the different sides of the brain and has been used as a treatment for adults with dyslexia. Well, Jem and Fugs did not crawl at all, but I think they can, just preffered to shuffle.
Duplo: Fugs made some sort of flying craft (UFO) with a pixie on it and flew it around the room, with sound effects. Allie soon picked up on this, and fixed a pixie to a long brick and also flew it with sound effects! I loved this.
Talking: I am (trying to) read John Holt, How Children Learn, ATM, and it has a star on the front, and Allie won't go to sleep because he's got to point at the star and stay 'star' and look inside it for more stars, which , of course there aren't any. He's been able to say star for a few months now, in fact, it may have been his first word, but now it is clearer, and has a definate meaning. He still says Daddy, in a special way: daddeee, when he's giving me a hug, he will only say mummy in a whiny voice! He will say Baby, in the same huggy voice. Its as if people don't have individual names, well, he knows what you mean if you say it, and he will sometimes say a name if he sees a photo of someone, or if they're out of the window?? He will copy someone if they are calling out or shouting a name, just for the fun of it. I think daddee seems to mean " o, you've come back from work" or " the one I love has come back to me" as it's what the other children say. I've been trying to get them to say mummeee in a nice way, so he will learn it! I know that's a bit selfish of me, but...come on , it's not fair...! I think we expect children to say our names for the sake of our own ego. I mean, how often have you heard a teenager, or other relative trying to get a baby to say their name? Maybe it doesnt mean the same to them, as they are not so aware of people as seperate individuals. Jem, at 7, only just seems to be getting it. She says things like, "isnt it funny that you don't know what other people are thinking", like these things are just dawning on her.
Writing: Fugs has been 'writing' on the computer. It's a shame it has upper case letters on the keyboard, as he has a job recognising them. I wonder if you can put stickers on them, on something. He wants a typewriter, and I think this is a jolly good idea (apparently, 'Gill, who owns the gym' :o) has one in her house, so we could get one, too.)
Finger knitting: I tried some of this, will show results another time. I just did what Gill said in her comments and it worked. I'm sure I've never done it before, but I had this strange feeling once I'd started, I can see how you can get addicted. I think I've seen a demo at Shibden Hall, only using a strange victorian gadget called a Lucet? (I'll have to go off now and find out if this is right!).

6 Comments:

Blogger Gill said...

'Gill who owns the gym' ROFL what a frightening thought!! Dear oh dear.
That's interesting, that he was obsessed with standing & 2-legged figures just as he was starting to stand & walk!
As for the crawling etc., well R (who you know from Halifax meetings) has been entirely autonomous from day one, no school, no structured lessons etc., has always had clearly observable physical phases when she's been undergoing mental development-leaps. I remember her going back to crawling everywhere just before she learned to read, at 8! Well, not hands and knees crawling but running around on all 4s. I've talked to E about it at length and she's really interesting on the subject. I could happily pick her brains for hours!
Your mum sounds like a very interesting person too, Rosie. Piaget? I should know who that is, but can't remember. Would like to know more though, if you get chance to tell us!
"how often have you heard a teenager, or other relative trying to get a baby to say their name?" - Zara to Lyddie - constantly! As soon as Lyddie started to make noises.
I'm glad the finger-knitting explanation worked. I can see why you would need a device if you were doing a lot of it - it hurts your fingers after a while!
BTW - where do you buy your wool from please? Is there a wool shop in Halifax? (& Isn't that an odd question when they named the main shopping street "The Woolshops"? Just a small change there, then!)

9:26 am  
Blogger dottyspots said...

Lucet definetely rings a bell, I'm seeing a double pronged thing with thread on in my head.

8:43 pm  
Blogger Jax Blunt said...

I love blogging and commenting - but you know that ;)

I also love the spinning off in different directions - a lucet is something I saw at Yorvik when we were there last year. Trying to find a link to it I saw this though:

sprang knitting?and then this on lucets

Piaget - haven't quite a few of his theories been discredited now? Like the object permanence thing? Not sure I can find any links on that though.

11:11 am  
Blogger Rosie said...

Piaget- not sure why I dropped this in-(it may be nothing to do with him) apparently when my mum did her teacher training in the 50's he was one of the important educationalists they studied. I only have this info from her, but boy, did she go on about it. Aparently he was big on learning through play. I have only talked to my mum about it in relation to what I have learned about Rudolf Steiner. I think Piaget has gone out of fashion now, but perhaps the baby has been thrown out with the bathwater, somewhat.
Wool- I have a strange attitude to atm, as I dont have much money, so wander round expensive yarn shops, like Attica in Hebden bridge, drooling and not buying. I have a mottly collection of bits and pieces that I have picked up here and there, sometimes I see bags of it in charity shops I am trying to find some yummy recyclable wool in the form of handknit jumpers to unravel- see REKAL link. There is a wool stall in the indoor borough market (Mon-Sat) in Halifax, and I have bought yarn in the piece hall market in the past, although this seems to have really gone downhill in the last few years -(why?).No wool shops in E? Apparently there is a really nice textile shop in Sowerby Bridge. There is a budget range of knitting 'wool', actually acrylic, in LIDL atm, selling fast, though.
love the textile links, Jax!

11:38 pm  
Blogger Gill said...

Thanks for the info Rosie. Am kicking myself as I gave a bin-liner full of wool away a few years ago when no-one here was interested in using it! I didn't realise it was expensive.
Maybe we should go & shear my ex-s-i-l's sheep. She's got a spinning wheel.

7:48 am  
Blogger dottyspots said...

I like Phiala's string pages - must go and have another good luck (get some ideas for projects) as it shouldn't be too long till I get the cardi and Nin's dress done, I might try something different with the boys.

2:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home