Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Snow drop fairy

Here are the instructions, as requested by Kris. I found a photocopy tucked away in one of many knitting bags! I adapted it from a "little knitted gnome" in a book called something like "The gnome craft book". I used DK yarn and short needles, probably no 10. It comes out a bit like a finger puppet, but stands up due to the garter stitch at the bottom. You can do different colours for different flower fairies or gnomes for different seasons. Good luck! (I hope they are right, finding it difficult to concentrate due to telly, now off!) Jem (7) hasn't mastered knitting yet, but has made flower fairies out of felt.
Body and head
Cast on 24 sts in white
K 4 rows in garter st.
Next 10 rows- Stocking st.
Next row- K2tog 12 times.
Next row- P
Change yarn to Face Colour. K 10 rows st st.
K2tog 6 times
cast off
Sew up seam. Stuff head. Gather up around neck and pull tight.
Hat
Cast on 20 Sts white
K 2 rows in garter st
next 6 rows- St st.
row 9- K2 tog. K to last 2 sts. K2tog
row 10- P
row 11 and 12: as 9 and 10
Change yarn to dark green
repeat rows 9 and 10 till there are no sts left
Leave a green stalk, sew up seam and sew onto head
Cape
Cast on 26 sts in green
K 2 rows in garter st
st st 4 rows
next row- K2tog for whole row
cast off
sew around fairy's neck, leaving front open



5 Comments:

Blogger Jax Blunt said...

Ooh, that looks like something I can do - wonder if I've got any white...

12:09 am  
Blogger Joyce said...

Oh - we just did this today, and we have a lovely pink (?!) fairy. Apparently, its a carnation fairy.....

8:15 pm  
Blogger Rosie said...

O, wow! Brilliant! Hope the pattern worked as I had to translate and adapt it in my head. Now for the crochet version...

9:50 pm  
Blogger Kris said...

Thanks Rosie! That's great. :) So pleased others are using it too... will have to dig out all my odd needles so D & T can both 'knit' with me.

And there's nothing wrong with a 'carnation' fairy... I think we might have to do one of those too. As well as an Iris fairy or something - T loves blue!

4:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about bluebell? crocus? these should be out soon. Actually, I've not knitted any other flower fairies, only made them from felt.

1:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home