Monday, December 27, 2004

Xmas Eve

This is the time when there is lots of frenzied preparations to be done in time for tomorrow. So I agree to going over to B's brother's, for the sake of the children, as he has said he is having the whole day off. He was out till after 2 0'clock. by which time I had made another batch of mincemeat (for presents, and pies) and another batch of mince pies, with 2 snotty and tired boys (don't sneeze on the mincmeat!), as we have been invited over for tea and my consolation is that I won't have to do the dishes and tidy up again after tea. I am already starting to feel pretty grotty myself. Jem finishes off some presents for her cousins, sister and brothers- glad someone is together- I have to constantly switch from my hands covered in sticky pastry to undoing a knot in some sewing to picking up a baby. When B arrives there is less than an hour of daylight in which to gather holly and ivy, which Jem and I do in the pouring, freezing rain, and I slip over with quite a bump on the way back. I also have to disappear into the garage to apply another coat of paint to small desk and chair. And have a bath. We are just about to leave at about 4 when the ceiling starts dripping again-in a different place.
At the in-law's I consumed lots of tissues and a lasagne and mulled wine, but wasn't offered any other alcohol, or mince pies, except the ones we brought. You're supposed to have 12 *different* mince pies in different peoples houses, duh! When I found out we were having lasngne i was a bit disappointed- not very Christmassy, like? I mean vegetarians don't only eat pasta, y'know, O sorry, you dont know, right, your' doing us a favour already by feeding us at all with our funny ways, OK. Well, maybe my inner stroppiness was due to onset of cold.
On the way back it started to snow - could this be a white Christmas? Got the children to bed around 11, and then started to make something to hang up out of the pile of greenery on the kithchen table. And drink Bailey's. And finish name on painted chair (a specified requirement, anyway, who wants just another old chair?). And find various pressies, etc etc. Although I had done all wrapping beforehand it was 2.30 by the time I got to bed. O dear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home