Monday, November 22, 2004

I hate mondays

...Because I'm still recovering from the weekend. Not the wild nights out (doesn't happen), or excess of children (no difference), but the fact that I try to take it a bit easy and not do absolutely everything that needs doing in the house. So, on Monday, I find things like used baby wipes stuck firmly to the bathroom floor; the whole house is in a mess as I haven't been constantly tidying up after *people* and I haven't got the will to do it now. Also, I have invariably had a row the day before, as two days is obviously too long for two 'civillised' adults to spend in the same house. I didn't get the rubbish out in time this morning, which is always a bad start to the week. I just had a bath, along with a few plastic animals that I couln't be bothered to remove. I took two bottles in to wash my hair and one was full of water and the other was empty. I also found an entire family bar of pears soap, which had been left under the shower curtain and had turned into a congealed white blob. I had two small visitors whilst in the bath, one giving me a synopsis of "The Two Bad Mice", which is quite an appropriate story for the way today has gone...
Last night I was looking on papersnowflake.com for some interesting snowflake designs, when they both abandoned the paper cutting in favour of playing on the computer. (Shucks! Foiled again!) I did find that quite annoying, but tried to remain calm about it as it was nearly bedtime and tomorrow was going to be different. But as soon as Furgs came down this morning he went straight to the computer and turner it on. I just find it annoying as he gets frustrated and needs someone to help him, but if I do then Ally comes in bashing the keyboard with his hand or grabbing the mouse. He ended up doing some Letterland workbooks, which was quite successful, and I managed to remain calm throughout. I tried to find some worksheets for Jem to do at the same time, but couldn't so she did some our-montessori maths on the computer, which was quite good, and she could understand it as it is the same as what she has been doing at the Montessori School (only with real equipment, which I havent got).
We didn't go to the HE meeting, as Jem didn't want to. She has never quite forgiven it for not actually being a gym, as in the council-run one we used to go to which has closed down, which had all sorts of equipment to swing, bounce, jump and generally have a good time on. I tried to find out about some gym classes, but they sound a bit formal and structured, (and at 9.15 on Saturday morning!) and finally reallised that what she really wants is one of those play centres (which I hate, because they make me feel claustrophobic and as if I'm going to die from plastic poisoning or piped music, not to mention the junk food). But there may be one that's not too bad, that takes over 5's, that isn't too far. But I think I would have to go with someone else or I would find it too depressing.
So the afternoon was spent with them both, or taking it in turns, on the computer (I give up), on The Little Animals Activity Centre (BBC) and Seussville.com, where we did manage to find some print and play things, too. While I was getting my scrapbook up to date I found some gold and silver pens I had bought really cheap on the market and they loved having a go with those. Then Furgs decided to make a computer out of a pizza box, which he got quite into so I cut him some little squares for keys, which he stuck on. I had saved the pizza box to make a pizza fraction game, but found another one for this. I got the idea from somthing I saw in a catalogue, but couldn't quite see what it was like, so I just made it up. I just cut out circles (with a picture of pizza on) and cut them into various fractions. I got 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/6 and 1/8, I thought you could do adding fractions or just recognising them, and then I realised you could make it into a dice game. I'm sure it's been done, but I don't always look for instructions first, as this can take ages, and I was quite happy quietly cutting up bits of cardboard after tea, anyway.
So its doesn't sound like they were two bad mice, after all. Maybe it was just me. I just felt a bit demorallised with the whole thing earlier. Maybe I've been putting myself under too much pressure to do lots of wonderful creative things, and I don't always have the energy or inspiration. And I was starting to feel the dread of Christmas. They were quite giddy and hyper just before bed, but that's hardly surprising since we hadn't even been out of the house all day. Looks like I'll belooking in the yellow pages under play centers tomorrow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home